You have probably already heard of the so-called Lakes District in Italy, set in the North of the Country, where a number of lakes are tucked at the feet of the Alps, spanning from East to West.
Lake Orta is one of the smallest lakes in the District, but it’s my favorite and arguably the most romantic destination in the area. The hills surrounding it are so close to the lake that the atmosphere in the lake-side villages is one of secluded privacy and of romantic intimacy.
The village of Orta San Giulio, where some of the best venues in the area are located, is set at the end of a small peninsula overlooking the tiny island of San Giulio, thus the destination wedding you can plan there is at once private and romantic.
Lake Orta weddings
Lake Orta will frame your wedding fabulously if:
- you’re dreaming of an elopement or an intimate wedding
- you’re traveling internationally to Malpensa Airport, which is just 45 minutes by car from the Lake
- you’re looking for a very romantic and almost enchanting atmosphere. The legends and stories surrounding the lake and the island of San Giulio are a testimony to the kind of inspiration the area provides
- you’re interested in Romanesque and Baroque architecture, and religious history, which is abundant around town and on the island it’s facing
- you like to walk around small villages, soaking in the atmosphere and discovering characteristic nooks, as the town of Orta San Giulio is the only car-free town in the Lake District area
- you would love to host your wedding celebration in a luxury hotel overlooking the lake or in a stately home with spectacular views
- you’re gourmands looking for a Michelin-starred culinary experience at your wedding
- you would like to reach your ceremony venue by rowing boat. In which case you could arrange for a civil wedding at the elegant Town Hall, Villa Bossi, a magnificent 17th century villa facing the Lake
Does this sound like your ideal destination? Ask my friend and colleague Irene to help you plan your very own Lake Orta wedding.